Wood doors have been welcoming family, friends and strangers for centuries. Quality-built wood doors can last and look beautiful for decades — when they are properly and routinely maintained.
Here are five tips on how to care for your wood doors and help them look beautiful — and keep out the elements from your home — for years to come!
5 steps to keep your wood door looking beautiful….
1. Finish your wood doors with paint or varnish that is of exterior quality and offers UV protection properties.
2. Clean with a damp sponge at least once every season to remove fine soot and dirt particles that can scratch the surface and dull the finish.
3. Treat your doors with high-quality lemon oil to restore and protect the surface. Many products contain sunscreens. Avoid those with silicates and waxes as they tend to leave a residue.
4. An overhang of 30″ or more will help provide added protection from the elements, as will glass or screen storm doors (though they also hide the door.)
5. Re-finish the door with a high-grade, UV-protective exterior paint or varnish every 3 to 4 years. Make certain to paint all 6 surfaces — front, back, top, bottom, front side, back side.
(Note: A lot of people forget to paint/varnish the top and bottom. Complete coverage of these surfaces is critical to providing a solid, continuous weather barrier for your door.)
John Gorman is President and co-owner of Save Energy Company, the leading replacement window and door provider in the San Francisco North Bay Area. He is on the Board of Directors of Electric and Gas Industries Association (EGIA) and has served as Board President.